Finally after planting it on the 8th of February, my first lot of Broccoli is ready for the table. I have waited patiently and looked after it lovingly for months and I very nearly missed it. Yesterday after a couple of days away from the veg patch I went to carry out my daily inspection to discover that the first head, that I have photographed before, had started to flower... B**g$£r .
I couldn't believe it all that effort and it was past its best. Jim in his truly understated style said "How many plants do you have" Me "About 30" Him " Well we can chalk that one up to experience and don't let it happen again." You can't really argue with that logic can you?
Anyway, Three head were saveable so here they are.
Not bad if I say so myself, so about 26 plants left to grow a nice head, and now these have been cut they should also grow some side shoots.
So what else has been going on? well the oddly changing weather has caused most of my plants to grow in spurts. the sunshine of the last few days and the excess water means that my sprouts and carrots had got too tall for the enviromesh shelters they are hiding under.
Sprouts first. Uncovered, there were some weeds to be dealt with.
The cabbages that were also under the mesh are doing very nicely.
I had a rummage in my various boxes and found some more connectors for my lily poly tunnel pieces so as the mesh was wide enough I decided to add a third pole to the supports.
Its difficult to tell from this picture but these hoops are now about 3 feet high so that should be more than enough room. 15 minutes fighting the mesh and the addition of a large number of tent pegs, that I bought at our local camping shop, and the tunnel was recovered.
Its a rather unusual shape now but it does the job, lets hope it can stand up to the high winds if they return.
The carrots then got the same treatment. From this..
To this! I know this one is even stranger but I didn't have enough poles so I could only make every other hoop taller !
And the Broccoli and Kos I put under a plastic tunnel had also gone mad.
Something has been having a little nibble.
This time I had nothing left to cover the Broccoli so it is left open to the elements and is taking its chances with all the birds and beasties. I did have enough netting to cover the lettuce.
Elsewhere in the garden, I dug the last two Duke of York potato plants.
And harvested my first herbs from the Herb bed, Coriander and Chives.
The Potato's have been very successful, Delicious. I can recommend them to anyone wanting to grow there own. I will be putting in two rows next year.
The next crop is ready so watch out for the picture of the first Charlottes.
The animals are still happily coexisting. I put out some afternoon corn for the chickens yesterday and they were kind enough to share it with Gibson!
I'm not sure what mixed corn does to a dogs diet but he seemed to enjoy it!
Finally we went for a walk around the Isle of Purbeck on Saturday. It was glorious and Old Harry Rocks looked great in the sunshine.
Have a great week, we are just off now for a nice long walk with a pub lunch half way round.. Lovely.